Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2
Since the support of Magento 1 will by ceased by 2018, you are probably concerned about having a migration solution for your online store. Migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is crucial if you want to keep your store safe, up-to-date, and fast.
Here are the steps you need to take in order to migrate your store from Magento 1 to Magento 2:
- Install Magento 2 on a system that meets Magento 2 official requirements
- Customizations: check whether your customizations are compatible with Magento 2. You will have to either rewrite or migrate the code
- Migrate your theme: Magento 1 themes cannot be migrated to Magento 2 directly, so you will have to create a new theme for Magento 2 or install the one from the Magento marketplace
- Migrate your extensions: most Magento 1 extensions will not be compatible with Magento 2. Some extension providers offer updated versions of their extensions. If you can’t find one, you will have to hire a Magento developer to develop the extension compatible with Magento
- Migrate your data: use data migration tool to move your data from your Magento 1 store to Magento 2 store. Make sure to migrate all the important data such as attributes, categories, customers, customer product reviews, customer addresses, blog, and orders if necessary. Migrating orders is a complicated and tricky process, which is often time-consuming and requires advanced Magento knowledge.